Administrative Assistant Job Description
As a member of the Evangelical Church of Canada (EMCC), Grace Evangelical Missionary Church is committed to being a holy people dedicated to worshipping and glorifying God, to build his Church locally and worldwide through missions, evangelism and instruction in righteousness, loving care and fellowship.
The Administrative Assistant assists in coordinating all church office activity. Working directly with Board members, the entire pastoral and office staff, ministry heads and other volunteers, the Administrative Assistant performs administrative, reception and bookkeeping duties to ensure the smooth operation of the church and its ministry functions.
The Administrative Assistant will grow both spiritually and professionally in specific areas, while being part of the church team. Skills from previous experience will be used and the Administrative Assistant will be a key team player in helping guide the church in fulfilling its mission statement.
As representatives of the church, Grace Church expects its employees to act in a manner consistent with scripture and its beliefs. All employees are required to abide by the church Bylaws and policies that are in effect.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs organizational tasks for services such as preparing bulletins, distributing orders of services to participants, distributing music to musicians, preparing items for video projection and distributing to projectionist.
- Assist Board Chair and Secretary in preparing and distributing agenda, minutes and supporting documents.
- Assist Pastoral staff and ministry heads with administrative functions.
- Maintain and update all church records including membership roster, baptism, marriage, births and deaths, financial and others in both paper and computer-based formats.
- Notify Pastors, church Board and ministry workers of church members who are hospitalized or disabled, births, deaths, weddings and other events of church members and families of members. Ensure that appropriate recognition of these events occur.
- Coordinate/assist with special events as needed.
- Maintain and coordinate church calendar and bulletin boards. Coordinate with Pastoral staff, Board and ministry heads to prevent conflicts of events.
- Answer all incoming calls in a courteous, professional and friendly manner.
- Serve as host to incoming visitors, offering coffee or other drinks that are available and announce their arrival to the appropriate party.
- Send follow-up letters to first time visitors and maintain contact records.
- Monitor incoming and outgoing mail and email ensuring delivery to intended recipients and compliance with office policy.
- Maintain the church’s website and social media sites.
- Order office supplies and maintain supplies in an orderly manner, adhering to office policies and budget guidelines and obtaining multiple quotes for expensive items.
- Update Missions information.
- Prepare Annual Report each year by coordinating with Pastoral Staff, Board and ministry heads to ask for their reports in preparation for the Annual Meeting.
- Maintain Petty Cash with accurate records and receipts.
- Process Payroll monthly with QuickBooks. Provide monthly Income Statement Report for Treasurer. Pay all incoming invoices. Reconcile bank deposits and bank statements on QuickBooks.
- Monitor CRA.
- Apply for HST rebates from Canada Revenue Agency twice a year.
- Maintain records of Envelopes of tithes and offerings. Provide Income Tax Receipts yearly using QuickBooks.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date Office Manual.
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to handle matters of a confidential and sensitive nature.
- Tact, good judgement and diplomacy in working with volunteers, staff members and the public.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work independently with a minimal level of supervision.
- Proactive and takes initiative.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- The following skills or a willingness to learn:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Book Keeping skills and experience in QuickBooks Software.
- Proficiency in Easy Worship software.
- Experience maintaining websites and social media sites.
Hours and Conditions of Work
- Three months probationary period.
- Position is paid hourly and is nominally 16-20 hours per week, though more or less hours may be required depending on workload. Working hours are to be scheduled with the Pastor. Pay period is monthly.
- Time spent attending services are not normally paid unless called upon to perform job duties.
- Performance and pay rate is reviewed annually.
- Two weeks paid vacation per year after each employment anniversary. Vacation may not be accumulated from year to year but will be “paid out” unless special arrangements are made.
- Relevant professional development activities are paid for by the church.
- The Administrative Assistant’s immediate Supervisor is the Pastor who will direct the day-to-day activities. The Board Chair or Board member designate will act as Manager and is responsible for performance reviews, rate of pay, working conditions and discipline.
- A police check is required as a condition of employment and will be paid for by the church.